Due to volcanic eruptions and various other distractions, I decided to postpone my weekly update this week. It's going to be mostly my stuff, with a just a teensy bit of the music/art/fashion stuff mixed in this time.
- As some of you know, my town is covered in ash (still!) due to Shinmoedake's (part of Kirishima mountain) crazy eruption. Although the pictures look really dramatic, it's not been that exciting on my end, even though I live nearby. Going outside is a huge pain though, since you end up looking like a rather healthy zombie. So I'm just not going outside. ^^; Even the podcast Japan Talk covered it this week! And now the next stage, The Big Clean Up has begun.
|Piles of bags of ash are neatly piled at the roadside|
|This is what my car looks like after ash, a brief rain shower and then more ash. The inside's getting dusty too T^T I would get it washed but.... it's only going to get this dirty again!|
|Front page of a newspaper for kids. Miyazaki is front page news X2. Bird flu and volcanoes - why don't you come and join us!? We had foot-and-mouth last year too! ^^|
- Also in the news recently is the LED lights trend "scandal". An advertising campaign at LaForet in Tokyo was touted as the latest "teen craze" in Japan, when in fact it was...well...just an advertising campaign. Not sure how much airtime the mistake is going get, but I'm kind of glad that it happened. People are too quick to jump on the "oh but it's Japan, they only have crazy stuff there" wagon. This may actually induce future journalists to research first. :P
- This week my kawaii (cute) stuff has been featured on Kirin's blog, Tokyo Kawaii Etc. If you want to submit your own kawaii things, read how to do so here. I've had a post featured there before, for her Christmas Illumination photo project. Actually, Kirin and I met up when I was in Tokyo and we had a great time chatting over coffee and doughnuts - and she even gave me some totally cute omiyage! (Guess which one has given me the most joy... ^^;)
|Coffee and doughnuts. Yum!|
|Presents!!! Thank you Kirin! ^^|
|The bean pod (kind of a de-stress device, akin to popping bubble wrap ^^) above has a bean with a face on it... I wonder which one I got?|
|Angry face!!!! ('o';) Endless hours of fun, I'm ashamed to admit. ^^|
- I've kept going with my Aojiru/ Blue-green juicey thing experiment, and I can say that, at the very least, it's not as gross as it originally was. I definitely feel perky afterwards - whether that's psychosomatic or not I don't know, but it certainly feels good.
- This is actually from a couple of weeks ago, but I forgot to post it. My fridge was on the blink and I got a new one (it's a rental, so they just replaced it). I like the new one better, and not only because it actually works:
|Rather unremarkable as fridges go, EXCEPT! Look closely!|
|it's! The brand name/logo. It's...what? A fridge? A statement? And unfinished sentence? How wonderful that such a mundane household appliance has given birth to whole heap of philosophical questions! ^^|
- I've decided to shut down Vicky's and my podcast, Nandeyanen completely until further notice. It was on a bit of a hiatus, but Vix and I just don't have the time and/or energy to work on it right now. I'm focusing on developing this blog and she's got some intense studies. It'll probably resurface again, once Vix comes back to Japan (hint, hint!). In the meanwhile, I'll be posting the old transcripts up on here regularly so that they're still available. ^^
- Saturday night was Tokyo Kawaii TV time, and this week was all about transformations. Takeru's SuG (often featured in KERA magazine) did a makeover of a girl from plain Jane to "Dark Beauty" or however they named her. Two others were featured as well, but Takeru won. ^^
|Awful pic, but Takeru and the girl furthest to the left, then the other two makeover contestants are actually two guys, who dress as girls normally and did their makeovers themselves. ^^|
- My friend Moa has booked her flights and is coming to Japan this coming Spring! Yaaaaaaaaay!
- Golden Bomber's Kiryuiin Sho is going to Germany in a couple of weeks! He got his very first passport the other day. Awwwwww.
- On the topic of Golden Bomber, I've been really into their NicoNicoDouga activities lately. The vocalist, Kiryuiin Sho hosts All Night Nippon every wednesday night (I don't listen to it live because I'm a good girl and already in bed by then), but listen to them after. Good Japanese practice! The band as a whole also have NicoNicoRadio every Friday at 10pm JST, and it is HILARIOUS. I love it. If you want to check out last week's episode, feel free to look here. (All in Japanese though!) I'm dying to go to one of their live shows! I will, I will, I will go to the ball...er...show!
- Lastly, I received the most awesome email this morning. I've been a longtime fan of Craig Harper's website with sock-it-to-your-belly, no-nonsense posts of fitness, healthy eating, attitudes on life and everything in between. Reading it is like a mini homecoming to one of my adopted homes, Oz. ^^ And today, I got an email from said personage! Totally surprised, very happy... and now I'm going to gloat a little by sharing it with you all (with permission!) . ^^
Hi Lisa (or Ri),
Just thought I’d drop you a quick line to say hi. When I see your comments on my posts I often click on your site link to see what you’ve been up to. I love the way you write – clear, funny and authentic. Which is kinda refreshing in the blogosphere. Your laid-back personality and great energy come through – even in the middle of volcano ash! Anyway, enough of my waffling, I hope this finds you well. Be safe and keep having fun.
I'm totally strutting around (in my head ;P). If I were a dog, it'd be the equivalent of trotting around with a self-caught dead mouse in my mouth. Yeah, I'm that stoked. ^^
And on that note, I'll stop here. Will do a proper update later this week. Have a good one! ^^